Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Attn David - the Bus Architects are calling & Re: Fwd: Toilet Inbox X

David!! 

Before I get into the rest of this post, I want to make U the star here by addressing an issue our engineers keep bringing up - manuals. Have U had any luck putting your hands on one? 85 GMC RTS  :} Do let us know in the soon guy!!

Now for the rest of this excitement...

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Rob Benson  wrote:
Ron-
Insulation, and where to focus it, is something we ought to discuss.  I will be building a storage platform beneath the bus this Sat. so that Martin can begin to move some of his belongings beneath the bus to help open up some room on the maindeck so that I can take more accurate measurements of the interior.....

What is going on with my stuff is that the bulk of it is my books that I want to bring and sell as we go to finance this undertaking once   it has wheels. Once I get out of the area, my books and my story will be brand new for many and should generate some pretty good cash  flow. So that is what we need storage for. As well as for the generator John Oleary got for us!!

My 1986 TransCon recumbent and trailer will hang from the ceiling as we discussed. The diorama will get casters and stay about and there's my Eagle.

The above is the lions share. My clothes, boxes of bike parts (we can likely cannibalize stuff for the bus from them) and maybe 5 box es of misc stuff can go to a friendly garage or storage ......

 
but I was really hoping that our VTA connection would be able to deliver a manual with all the dimensions in it.  I will keep insulation in mind while I work and take an inventory of what is beneath the deck.  

Martin- 
How cold have you been?  Can you type comfortably at night when it is 50 degrees outside?  Do you need a warmer room or warmer clothing?  Remember: Califorina's winter is more mild than spring in the Rookies.

As yet more Deprivation Training to toughen me up for the ride, I can hang w.o heat... As for the Rockies and even once we hit the road, I will be on the Eagle pumping away. At which point  it becomes a question of what can the crew hang with. One way for them to beat the cold  is  just to sleep in. I am the only one who has to get up. And a 60 or 70 mile drive can begin as late as   noon to meet me at my next stop.  I suspect air con is what people are going to be wishing for once we hit the plains. .....

Also, for refrigeration, I like John Oleary's long ago idea of just  a big cooler(s) with ice. I will prob get a lot of food and drink product donations. Much of which will need to be refrigerated.....

When I rode to SLC I had to leave behind boxes of food and cases of drink headed on to a bus that c.not pass smog......
 
Maybe we could Skype around 11:00am on Saturday?  If Martin can manage it, I would love to Skype from the bus with him since I will be there already.

Cheers,


SATURDAY   AT 11 AM - ON THE BUS!! 

C U guyz then!!

 Excited wow Yahoo!!

Also - The #1 software programmer in the world, Dorai Thodia, a Facebook friend, just was in my email box. He is working with Grey Lowell to get the bike maps we run at our site working again so that when we hit the road they will be on display for potential investors to see. We want to get them  to the next level where cyclists everywhere will be uploading their routes to them in a way that makes the National Bicycle Greenway  real!! 

What an honor. And this guy is beyond astonishing. And yet there again Grey can hold his own in the rare atmosphere in which they maneuver....... More WOW

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 
Date: Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM
Subject: Saturday
To: robbiebenson@yahoo.comhiwheeler@gmail.com

Saturday,  Let me know.

Saturday.. I am willing to blow off the meeting I am supposed to attend on Saturday 1-3..  How can I get there in person?  If I can get a ride from Union City BART I would love to join you both or make another offer [I will have my bicycle].  BART to CalTrains sucks if you try to make a tight connection.  Going back is not as bad.

I know that the Rockies are a lot colder and I know that Martin is tough, but we are talking about comfort here, which is something they teach in Architecture school.  Insulate the bottom side of the deck.  Foam uses less room, but fiberglass is ok too. Which ever is available.  Marlite panels, corregated aluminum, or plastic can be used to contain the stuff.  Heck even thin sheets of paneling or cardboard for God sakes works.  

Martin, you need to start keeping your eyes open for building materials. Corregated plastic materials, aluminum, paneling, plastic sheeting, cardboard, anything.  Old metal bed frames, the angle iron is a great building material and is usually free if you look for it.  They do not have to all be in pristine condition.  Some can be used in hidden areas.  I can find stuff in my hood no problem, but I always look for it. [A bad habit I have that pays off.]

Posted via email from HiWheel's Posterous